Saturday, September 19, 2009

Lola's Clam Chowder

This recipe I learned from a dear friend named Lauri. I called her Lola...she is a VERYgood cook. She made this for me one day when I was down with my foot surgery. I often watched her cook a lot and took some of it home with me! I miss her but she and her family is happy and prosperous in Montana now.

Lola's Clam Chowder

1/2 pound bacon slices, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 stick butter (real butter - not that margarine crap)
3 - 4 stalks of celery, chopped
1/3 white onion, minced
7 medium potatoes, peeled & diced (use less or more depending on how you like)
1 quart of heavy whipping cream
1 quart of milk
3 small cans clams, chopped style (keep the juice)
Bon Appettit, salt, pepper to taste.
1/3 cup corn starch
1/2 cup cold milk

Brown the bacon pieces over medium heat in a large dutch oven until thoroughly heated through. Leave drippings in pan and added the celery, onion, and butter. Cook until celery and onion are just barely starting to get soft. Add cream, milk, potatoes, clam juice from cans, and seasoning. (set clams aside) Simmer on low heat stirring often about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are the consistency you like. Add 1/3 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup cold milk to thicken. Turn heat off, let sit for 15-20 minutes and stir often to cool and to break up the film that will cover the top that has cooled. Throw in the clams and serve with home made sour dough or other type of bread.

(My  husband gives me the credit for this recipe as he tells the kids he loves "my" clam chowder. I hate to have to remind him that I didn't make it up at all. He apparently is still in denial that he married someone who can't really cook but can follow directions easily.)

No comments:

Post a Comment