Monday, June 29, 2009

Captain and Crunch

I was watching a documentary on cereal on the Food Network the other night and they were talking about how sugared cereals slowly became money makers in the market for kids. I remember them in the cupboard when I was a kid and not sure why my friends' kitchens were so different. My favorite was Lucky Charms. Next was Cheerios. I loved pouring so much sugar on them that it couldn't dissolve by the time I got to the bottom of the bowl. I remember that syrupy sweet milk still and it makes me cringe now.

I thought the other day after Savannah asked for "Captain and Crunch" I really ought to forget what is on sale and what Charlie and I like to "snack" on and get something a little less sweet. That and start hiding the sweet stuff. I don't like the idea of all that sugar in the morning, but kids do. In fact every time I ask her what she would like to eat it happens to be either peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, honey and butter sandwiches, or ice cream. Pretty sad cause it used to be "macaroni and cheese!"

I'd better get my butt in gear and back to the basics! Although she did enjoy the "cucumbers" aka zucchini we made with Shake n Bake. Now that was cute! I wonder if she'll change her mind now knowing they weren't cucumbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment