Thursday, August 30, 2018

Cooking in Texas

Since moving here to Texas I have decided I am going to try one new recipe per week from my Cooking Light magazine. I am a very visual person so if I don't have it staring at me in the face I forget about it. I like this magazine in that it has very colorful pictures and the recipes are easy. It was a free subscription and though you can get online to most everything I find it is nice when you get something in the mail that isn't junk. This just makes things more tangible.

Sunday I made Chicken and Butternut Squash Hash. It turned out good - but it was not something I wanted to eat right after cooking it. I tend to be like that however. I know if someone else had made it I would have devoured it.

I liked the softness and texture of the squash -though I cooked it just a bit longer than I should have. Fresh Brussels sprouts are so good and you par-steam them in the microwave before you mix them with the chicken.

Recipe called for rotisserie chicken and so we followed that even though we were prepared to use fresh breast. Very easy, something I can do in 20 minutes. You can find so many options for pre-washed, pre-cut veggies at our local store that it makes cooking more convenient too if you opt for that. It is something I might make again, but would like to pair it with something. Not sure what.

Didn't take pictures cause I wasn't real sure I was happy with what I was doing. Maybe it is because of the kitchen I was cooking in...our rental house doesn't have much space. Soooo glad we are moving next month into a more permanent house with more kitchen space.

Up next, easy crockpot brisket. Now that we live in Texas I am beginning to crave brisket.  And BBQ. And Mexican. Texas has so much more flavor wherever you go!

BTW I didn't say anything about our recent catfish find. I love catfish! Can I just say? The local supermarket sells it pre-seasoned and with the breading and fried in a pan on the stove it was so crunchy and delicious!

Isn't it odd that your food fare changes when your surroundings do? At least it does for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment