Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Black Eyed Peas & Avocado Salsa

  • 1 can black eyed peas, drained
  • 1 can white corn (Hominy), drained
  • 4 tomatoes (or 6 Roma tomatoes), chopped
  • 1/2 bunch green onion, chopped
  • 3 avocados, chopped
  • 1-2 packages Italian dressing mix (the original recipe calls for 1, but I always double this)
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro
  • Lemon juice and salt to taste (the original recipe does not call for either, but I think it needs both)

Mix all ingredients together and chill overnight. Can be served cold or room temperature. (I prefer room temperature.)

MY METHOD: I always chop the tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro in a food processor, one at a time. This makes the tomatoes juicer and saves a TON of time. Chopping by hand will make a chunkier salsa. I also add about 2 t. of lemon juice and a 1/4-1/2 t. of salt when I make it, but this varies by batch. I check it again before I serve it. The salsa may need more of both, but you have to wait until the flavors have blended to know for sure. I have made this the same day I served it, but it does need some time to sit and blend before serving. The longer it sits, the better it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment